Monday, December 3, 2007

I wasn't exposed to Hip-Hop music until I was older, so I can't say that it had a major impact on my gender perception. Now I hear it all the time. I'm pretty set in my beliefs as far as ideas of femininity and masculinity, and it would take a lot more than song lyrics for that to change. It definitely still bothers me that women are constantly berated in Hip-Hop music. However, I take into consideration that there are a few women out there who pride themselves on being "dime pieces", but they do not define femininity. I think that's an important thing to remember when listening to Hip-Hop. It's also important to remember that its a business, and right now, these are the subjects that are making hits and selling albums. It's not necessarily what these performers believe.
As far as children are considered, I think that they should be sheltered from hearing these offensive lyrics. They are very impressionable as they form their perceptions of gender. They are not able to grasp the concept of Hip-Hop as a commodity, and are more likely to take the songs for what they are. I challenge the gender roles prescribed by Hip-Hop by refusing to accept the songs as an accurate representation of women as a whole, and by taking the songs for entertainment value, not social commentary.

No comments: